Required Submittals ----- Important: Project address shall be displayed on all submittal documents. Applications with incomplete submittals will be rejected and delayed.
IMPORTANT: Electronic submittal document files are required to be named appropriately to ensure efficient permit processing. Review Naming Submittal Documents prior to starting ePermit process to ensure all files are labeled appropriately. See all related ePermit submittal and resubmittal requirements to help avoid delays in processing.
Building permits are required for the following fences:
- Fences over 7 feet in height may require engineered design.
- Fences required for safety, such as swimming pool,
commercial spaces, or other safety fences.
- Retaining walls over 4 feet in height (requires engineered
Residential fences under 7 feet
in height a permit is not required.
Fence and Retaining Wall Submittal Requirements:
Township Approval Form (PDF) - Use form to determine if township approval is required for project location. Submit completed form with township approval signature if applicable
- Survey/Civil/Site Plans - details shall include survey or other accurately scaled drawing showing:
- Location of proposed fence / retaining wall
- Location of and distances from proposed fence / retaining wall to other structures, property lines, and septic tanks/system
- Engineered Design - Engineered design shall be submitted if construction cannot be verified by the minimum prescriptive requirements of the Minnesota Building Code. The design shall be sealed by a structural engineer licensed in the State of Minnesota.
- Special Inspections Form (PDF) - May be required if identified by engineer’s design.
- Specifications - Provide product installation specifications if any materials or fasteners require specific manufacturers’ specifications for installation.
Examples of specifications include:
Safety Fence Alarm Specifications
Material ES Report or other listing standard details