Free and fair elections matter. That’s why we’re looking for people of all political affiliations – and even those with no affiliation – to serve as election judges for election days and also on the absentee ballot board this summer and fall. We’re looking for people who reflect the vast spectrum of political ideology and preferences of our larger community. We’re looking for people who want to do their part to uphold the most fundamental aspect of our democracy: Open and fair voting.
Perhaps we’re looking for you.
Election judges (poll workers and members of the absentee ballot board) are officials who staff local polling places, carry out election procedures, and make sure that the rights of voters are protected. To serve as an election judge on election day and/or member of the absentee ballot board, you must:
• Be eligible to vote in Minnesota and be able to read, write, and speak English.
• Complete an election judge/absentee ballot board member training course (at least two hours), which can be completed in person or virtually (online).
• Be available to serve on election day (poll workers) or have a flexible schedule with availability during the day from late June through mid-August and again in late September through mid-November (absentee ballot board).
And you will…
• … be given the time off from your employer for your time serving as an election judge.
• … choose to serve as a volunteer or be paid (wages vary by city, township, or county).
• … choose how many (or how few) hours you serve (poll workers).
But perhaps the most rewarding part of serving in this essential role is knowing that you were part of something very important, very meaningful, and very consequential. Free and fair elections matter, and so does your participation in the process!
If you’re interested in finding out more about how to serve as an election judge for either or both the primary or general elections (or on the absentee ballot board) in Scott County this summer and/or fall, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our website at https://scottcountymn.gov/1956/Election-Judge-Information.