What We Accept
Scott County HHW is open to residents of Scott, LeSueur, Carver, Dakota and Sibley Counties
Accepted Items and Wastes
- Paint Products: Latex/oil-based paint, stain, varnish, polyurethane, paint stripper, etc.
- Wood Preservatives or Bleaches
- Household Items: Oven cleaner, household cleaners, furniture polish, moth balls, vegetable (cooking) oil, fire extinguishers, etc.
- Yard Chemicals: Non-agricultural pesticides, poisons, bug and weed killers, pool chemicals
- Automotive Chemicals: Gas, oil, antifreeze (these must be in a container that is 2-1/2 gallons or smaller in size), brake fluid, power steering fluid, car wax, etc.
- Adhesives and Putty
- Aerosol Spray Products: Spray paint, oven cleaner, pesticides, lubricant sprays, contact cleaner
- Cardboard: Flattened cardboard is now accepted for recycling.
- Christmas Lights: All holiday lights are accepted year round free of charge.
- Fluorescent Bulbs: Compact fluorescent, fluorescent tubes, HID, fluorescent bulb ballasts (Please remove ballasts from fixtures- a small handling fee could be assessed if ballasts are not removed)
- Fuels and Solvents: Gasoline, kerosene, mineral spirits, propane, fingernail polish remover, charcoal lighter fluid, Tiki torch fluid, etc.
- Grills: Accepted as scrap metal for no fee.
- Mercury: Including fluorescent tubes/bulbs of all sizes, compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs), thermometers, thermostats, etc.
- Bicycles: We are now able to accept small numbers of bicycles at no charge.
- Appliances: For $10 each standard household appliances (both small and large) such as washers, dryers, refrigerators, stoves, dishwashers, dehumidifiers, microwaves, window air conditioners, water softeners, etc. are accepted. Some specialty appliances (Ammonia, etc.) can carry fees ranging from $150-$1000 depending on size. (cash, check, and credit card is accepted)
- Electronics: Televisions and computer monitors are accepted for a fee of $10 each, regardless of size. Printers, stereo, household electronics and computer components (keyboards, cords, etc.) are accepted free of charge, Holiday lights are also accepted at no charge throughout the year.
- Tires: Tires from cars and light trucks, semi trucks, and farm tractors are accepted for a small fee. Check our price list for details. *For larger quantities of tires, please call 952-496-8787
- Scrap metal: Accepted for recycling (clean metal is accepted at no charge, while metal items that contain plastic, rubber, or wood components may be taken for a small fee).
- Sharps: Accepted for recycling. Please bring in approved sharps container labeled correctly. Wastes not in an approved container will not be accepted.
- Shredded Paper: Accepted for recycling. Please bring in paper or plastic bag with staples removed.
- Small Engines: Accepted for scrap metal recycling if they have been drained of fuel and oil. (Ex: lawn mowers, weed whips, chainsaws, snow blowers, etc.) *We charge a handling fee if mower does not have fuel or oil drained.