On this page, read about residential and agricultural homesteads and how to apply both online and on paper.
The residential homestead classification provides a property tax exclusion for property that is owned and occupied by the owner or a qualified relative. The amount of the exclusion is shown on your property tax statement and is deducted from your property estimated market value.
Learn about the change from the homestead market value credit to the homestead market value exclusion.
About the Homestead Exclusion
The amount of the homestead exclusion varies depending on the market value of the property. The maximum amount of the exclusion is $30,400 for residential properties with a market value of $76,000. As the property’s market value increases above $76,000, the amount of the exclusion decreases.
Use the property tax calculator to estimate your homestead exclusion.
Agricultural Homestead credit applies to property classified as agricultural, excluding the house, garage, and first acre. The amount of the agricultural homestead credit varies depending on the market value of the property. The maximum amount of the credit is $490 for agricultural property with a taxable market value of $260,000.
- Several criteria must be met to obtain an agricultural homestead:
- The land must meet the definition of agricultural property
- The parcel must be a minimum of 10 acres in size
- The owner must be a Minnesota resident
- Neither the owner or spouse may claim another agricultural homestead in Minnesota
- The owner or a qualifying relative must be actively farming the property
- There are numerous situations where an agricultural property can receive homestead. A few of them are:
- A qualifying relative occupies the property
- A child of the owner or owner's spouse is actively farming the agricultural property either on their own behalf or on behalf of an authorized entity
- Property is occupied by the owner and leased to an authorized entity
Determine Your Qualifications
Please use our flow chart below to determine if your property qualifies for the agricultural homestead classification. Then, contact the assessor in your area to discuss your situation and apply for agricultural homestead.
Use this link to access our online filing submission tool: File Your Homestead Application Online
Alternatively Submit Your Forms
You may also download the forms as PDFs and return them by US mail, fax, or email. If you have questions about which form you should fill out, please call the Taxation Department Property and Customer Services at 952-496-8115.
Property and Taxation Services
200 4th Avenue West
Shakopee, MN 55379
Fax Forms: 952-496-8496
E-Mail Forms: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: The Scott County Homestead Application is available for download in PDF format. The application can be viewed using Adobe Acrobat Reader and printed out for use. If you do not have Acrobat Reader already installed, you may download a copy by visiting the Adobe website. Follow the Adobe link for step by step instructions.