2020 CH 42 Reconstruction
- Construction Year: 2020
- Community: City of Shakopee, City of Prior Lake, and SMSC
- Corridor Served: CH 42
- Project Lead: Scott County
- Contractor: Mathiowetz Construction
- Construction Start Date: April 20, 2020
- Construction Complete: May 30, 2021
2020 Project Updates:
- Road closure for CH 42 from CR 17 to CR 83 will start Monday, April 27th, 2020. Access to MN Green will remain available for the duration of the project. The public will be detoured around to CR 16. Closure of the entire length of the project will be until August 1, 2020.
- May 14, 2020: Mass excavation work is ongoing throughout the 1.2 mile project site. Storm sewer improvements began and will be ongoing for the next couple months of the project. Private utility work began on Monday, May 11 and will be ongoing for the next six weeks.
- June 15, 2020: Private utility work is nearing completion. Grading efforts continue on the west end of the project and storm drain work continues from CR 17 to Dakota Ave.
- June 30, 2020: Work continues with mass grading and storm sewer installation. Crews are working towards the first project milestone in the beginning of August 2020 to open CH 42 from CR 17 to Dakota Parkway.
- August 7, 2020: County Road 42 is now open to residents and emergency vehicles from County Road 17 to Dakotah Parkway.
- August 27, 2020: Paving work has resumed and there will be increased truck traffic in the project area.
- September 24, 2020: Expect delays at the intersection of CH 42 and CR 83 for paving operations starting October 5 through October 7.
- October 2020: Road reopened to public.
The project will reconstruct CH 42 between CH 17 and CH 83, and will update the 1.3 mile segment from a rural 2-lane to a 4-lane divided highway.
Purpose & Justification
CH 42 is the principal arterial connection between Dakota County and CH 17. With this upgrade between CH 17 and CH 83 the last remaining gap in the 4-lane arterial system will be completed.