Highways 169/41/78 Interchange
Construction Year: 2018
Community: Jackson Township, Louisville Township
- US Highway 169
- State Highway 41
- County Highway 78
- County Highway 14
Project Lead: Scott County
Partners: MnDOT, Jackson Township, Louisville Township, SMSC
Contractor: Ames Construction, Inc.
Bid Date: July 31, 2018
Start Date: September 17, 2018
Current Traffic Impacts:(Dates subject to change)
Wednesday, October 9 through Friday, October 11; 7 P.M. to 6 A.M. Nightly
- Southbound Highway 169 will be reduced to a single-lane of traffic from Highway 41 to 145th St. to allow crews to widen the road.
6 P.M. Sunday, October 13 through 3 P.M. Monday, October 14
- Southbound Highway 169 will be reduced to a single-lane of traffic from just south of County Highway 69/Old Brick Yard Road to Highway 41 to widen and pave the road.
Monday, October 14; 9 A.M. to 5 P.M.
- Northbound Highway 169 will be reduced to a single-lane of traffic from 133rd St. to Highway 41 to remove guardrail and place barriers.
Sunday, October 6 through late-October
Highway 169 near the new County Highway 14 overpass south of Shakopee will be single-lane, head-to-head travel through mid-November. This temporary traffic shift is necessary to allow construction crews to safely install pipe under the highway.
- Thru traffic on southbound Highway 169 should stay in the left lane and use the crossover at 145th St. to continue south toward Jordan. Drivers will be head-to-head with northbound traffic for approximately a half mile.
- Local traffic should stay in the right lane and exit at 145th St. All local traffic must exit the highway at 145th St.
- During this time, there will be no access to southbound Highway 169 from County Highway 14.
- Detour uses County Highway 14 to 145th St. to southbound Highway 169.
Friday, Aug 16 through mid-October
County Highway 78 is closed between Highway 169 and Emery/ Louisville Rd. The closure has been extended through mid-October due to utility relocations and weather setbacks.
The detour uses CH 14 and Louisville Rd or Highway 169 and CH 69 to get around the construction.
Local businesses will continue to be accessible from CH 78 from the east and the frontage roads.
The closure is necessary to complete additional pipe work and concrete paving at the Highway 169/CH 78 intersection.
Upcoming Traffic Impacts:(Dates subject to change)
Late-October through mid-November
- Northbound Highway 169 traffic will use the crossover south of County Highway 14 to shift to the southbound travel lanes. Both directions of traffic will be head-to-head on same side of the road for a half mile.
Watch this short video before traveling through the work zone.
Construction Schedule: (dates subject to change)
- Construction crews will be working Monday-Friday, 7 am to 8 pm
- No nighttime work is anticipated at this time
Construction crews poured concrete for the bridge deck of the new County Highway 14 overpass on April 24, 2019.
Another view of the contractor pouring concrete for the new County Highway 14 bridge deck on April 24, 2019. The new overpass is south of the Highways 169/41/78 intersection.
Construction crews placed beams that will support the driving surface of the new County Highway 14 overpass over southbound Highway 169 on Jan. 22, 2019
Another view of crews placing beams for the new County Highway 14 overpass over southbound Highway 169 on Jan. 22, 2019
Construction crews placed beams that will support the driving surface of the new County Highway 14 overpass over northbound Highway 169 in March 2019
169 ch 14
Construction Drone Footage:
The following footage shows the progress on the frontage roads on both the North and South sides of 169 as well as the new overpass that is being created.
June 25th, 2019
October 23, 2018
Watch the Groundbreaking Video Below:
Scott County and MnDOT designed an interchange at US Highway 169 and Trunk Highway (TH) 41/County Highway (CH) 78. Scott County was successful in obtaining federal funding to expand the scope of the project to include a proposed overpass over US 169 near CH 14 and extension of the frontage road system along the east side of US 169 between CH 78 and CH 14. The expectation is to begin construction in September 2018.
MnDOT has concluded that an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) is not required and has issued a Negative Declaration Order for the project.
Additional information including notices for upcoming public meetings on the project will be posted on this page as it becomes available.
Purpose & Justification
This project will improve the safety and mobility in this area by removing direct access to US Highway 169. This project is consistent with the long-term vision of converting this segment of US Highway 169 into a freeway.
This project will be funded in part by the Scott County Transportation Sales Tax.