Petitioning for an Order for Protection

An adult may file a petition for an Order for Protection (OFP) on behalf of any victim who is a minor, is considered vulnerable because of mental deficiency, or is of an advanced age.

When a judge reviews the Petition and Affidavit for an OFP, the judge will determine if an Ex Parte Temporary OFP should be issued. The judge may order a hearing or issue an order for up to 2 years.

The Scott County Sheriff’s Office Civil Process unit will arrange for service within Scott County. If the respondent (the person the OFP is filed against) lives in another county, the Scott County Sheriff’s Office will send the order to the correct sheriff’s office.

In most cases, these orders can be served at any time and anywhere. It is helpful to have as much information as possible to assist the deputies in the service of the order.

Service Assistance

To assist in the service of the order, the petitioner can fill out the Domestic Abuse/Restraining Order Information form on the right hand menu under forms. This form can be turned in to the Sheriff’s Office with the original Order for Protection or Harassment Restraining Order to be served.


The court administrator does not charge a filing fee for the Order for Protection, nor does the Sheriff’s Office charge a fee for service.

Seeking an Order

Victims of domestic violence may seek an Order for Protection (OFP) from Scott County Court Administration by calling 952-496-8200.