COVID-19 Status Update - 6/3/2020 4:00 PM
Scott County Customer Service is now accepting appointments for driver’s license and identification card transactions only. This includes renewals, duplicates for address changes, lost or stolen licenses, upgrades to Real or Enhanced DL/IDs. Please click here for more details!
All other services such as tabs, title transfers, disability certificates, duplicate titles, and other deputy registrar services will continue to be offered through the drop boxes or mail. We are also able to accept applications for marriage licenses via email, fax, mail, or drop box. Please ensure that all transactions left in the drop boxes have a phone number enclosed. Requests will be processed within 48 hours and returned via mail.
Please follow us on Facebook to see our step-by -step videos on how to process transactions during a building closure.
Questions? Reach out to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 952-496-8432. We have staff ready and available to answer your questions from 8 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday.
A standard driver’s license or ID is acceptable for domestic air travel until October 1st, 2021.
If you are 18 and have held your instruction permit for at least six months you may immediately apply for your first time driver's license.
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have successfully passed a road test
- Have completed behind-the-wheel instruction
- Have completed 30 hours of classroom instruction
- Had an instruction permit (step 1) for six months with no conviction for moving or alcohol/controlled-substance violations
- Have a supervised driving log with a signature from a parent or guardian certifying at least 40 hours (15 of which must have been at night) of supervised (with a person at least 21 years old) driving.
- Please see the Minnesota Drivers Manual for a complete listing
Apply in person
- Scott County Customer Service Center
- Elko New Market Customer Service Center
Remember to bring
- Your Social Security number if you have one
- If you're under 18, a parent or guardian (with ID) to also sign the application
- Proof of your completed classroom instruction
- Proof of enrollment in behind-the-wheel instruction
You can pay with cash, check (payable to Scott County) or credit card. If you pay with a credit card you will be paying a 2.45% convenience fee.
During the first six months
- Only one passenger under the age of 20 is permitted, unless accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Driving is prohibited from midnight until 5 a.m. unless the provisional driver is: accompanied by a licensed driver at least 25 years old
- Driving between home and work
- Driving between home and a school event for which the school does not provide transportation
- Driving for employment purposes
During the second six months
- No more than three passengers under the age of 20 are permitted, unless accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- Note: Passengers under 20 who are members of the provisional driver’s immediate family are permitted during both time periods.