COVID-19 Status Update - 3/26/2020 11:30AM
What does this mean?All driver’s license agents and deputy registrar offices must close.
No applications for tabs, title transfers, duplicate titles, disability certificates, recreational vehicles, et cetera will be accepted after 4:30 p.m. on Friday, March 27, and we will do our best to process any items left in the Scott County drop box prior to the cutoff. Any items unable to be completed will be returned by mail.
We will continue to staff the office for critical items such as property tax payments and vital records requests (i.e., birth, death, and marriage certificates).
As our government buildings are closed to the public, we are unable to process driver’s and marriage license applications at this time.
If you have any questions about these or any other services Scott County provides, please feel free to call us at 952-496-8432. Staff are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. to answer your calls.
Please note that all DVS offices will be closed including exam stations.
Dealers: The Governor’s order recognizes that motor vehicle repairs and limited sales are considered critical services and may continue during this period. According to the order, dealerships may conduct "sales that are necessary to allow for essential travel, when conducted by appointment, and only when CDC and MDH guidelines, including social distancing, can be met.”
Granting extensions for driver’s licenses, ID cards, and tabs requires a change to state law, and the Minnesota Legislature is scheduled to consider this topic. The Minnesota Department of Public Safety Driver and Vehicle Services division (DPS-DVS) will provide additional information and guidance if anything changes. We will post any updates on social media and to our website as they become available.
Thank you for your understanding during this unprecedented time.
Save time - pre-apply online for driver’s licenses and IDs
Use the online pre-application to enter a significant portion of your driver’s license, ID or REAL ID information before coming to the driver’s license office. You’ll save time and learn what required documents to bring with you. Pre-apply for your license or ID card now!
A standard driver’s license or ID is acceptable for domestic air travel until October 2020.
Please expect longer wait times due to the new driver’s license requirements. Because of these longer wait times, we may not be able to assist customers who arrive during the final hour of business. Customers will be informed when they arrive if a transaction cannot be completed that day.
- Be at least 15 years old
- Have completed 30 hours of classroom instruction and enrollment in behind-the-wheel instruction
- If you are 18 or older, classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction is not required
- Pass a vision screening and knowledge (written) test
Apply in Person
Apply in person at the Shakopee Customer Service Center
Remember to bring
- One primary and one secondary document from the identification list
- Your social security number if you have one
- If you are under 18, a parent or guardian with proper identification must be present
- Proof of your completed classroom instruction
- Proof of enrollment in behind-the-wheel instruction
- Knowledge test results (Please note we are not a testing facility - see MN DVS Locations for the closest office)
Under 18 limitations
- Supervising driver must be 21 years old or older.
- Every occupant must wear a seat belt or use a child passenger restraint system.
- You may not use, or talk on, a cell phone while driving (with or without a hands-free device).
18 and older limitations
- Supervising driver must be 18 years old or older.
- All passengers must wear a seat belt or use a child passenger restraint system.
$13.25 - valid for two years from the date of application
You can pay with cash, check (payable to Scott County) or credit card. If you pay with a credit card you will be paying a 2.45% convenience fee.