Welcome to the Twin Cities Metro eLibrary on Libby!
Scott County Library has united with other area libraries on OverDrive's Libby app to bring you the Twin Cities Metro eLibrary, one of the largest eBook collections in North America!
The eLibrary combines eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eMagazines from 8 area library systems so readers across the region can access more items than ever with shorter wait times. Scott County readers can access the entire collection on Libby with their SCL library card and PIN, no new account required.
How to Use Libby by OverDrive
Read to get started? Download Libby by OverDrive from your app store and search for "Scott County Library" (listed under MELSA: Twin Cities Metro eLibrary). Sign in with your Scott County Library card and PIN.
Tip: Having a tough time finding us in the app? Try entering your Scott County zip code or the Shakopee zip code 55379 as a shortcut.
Android Phones & Tablets: Get Libby on Google Play
Apple iPhones & iPads: Get Libby for iOS in the App Store
In a web browser: Visit libbyapp.com or melsa.overdrive.com to read in a browser
Kindle Paperwhites: You can send Libby items to your Kindle, or the Kindle app, by signing into your Amazon account on the same device. Check Libby's Kindle FAQs for directions.
Kindle Fires: Though Amazon has not approved Libby yet in their app store, there's now a workaround: Load Libby onto a Kindle Fire. Your Kindle Fire must be running Fire OS 5 or higher for this to work. If this doesn't work for your Fire, we recommend using libbyapp.com in your Fire browser to get the same experience as the Libby app.
Other Devices: Not sure if your device is compatible? Check Libby's Device Compatibility FAQs to see if it is listed. If your device is incompatible with the Libby app or does not allow you to download it, we recommending using libbyapp.com in your device's browser to get the same experience as the Libby app.
Note on the Legacy OverDrive App
The legacy OverDrive reading app will be discontinued on May 1, 2023 so the company can focus on developing Libby. It was retired from app stores in February 2022 and is no longer downloadable.
- If you currently have the OverDrive app downloaded, you can continue using it for now, but we recommend switching to Libby when possible. Please follow the prompts that are now displaying to switch to Libby. Your borrowing history and activity will automatically transfer to Libby when you switch.
- Visit the OverDrive Resource Page or Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Last Updated 3/9/23
Borrowing eBooks & eAudiobooks
- Borrowing Limits: You may borrow up to 15 digital items at a time. Each item may be checked out for 21 days.
- Hold Limits: You may put up to 15 digital items on hold.
- Renewals: Items with holds cannot be renewed. Instead, you may place a hold to borrow the item again.
- Easy Returns: eBooks and eAudiobooks will return automatically after 21 days. You can also return an item early so someone else can borrow it.
- No Waiting: There are no waiting lists for eMagazines. Our collection has unlimited copies to borrow, so you can immediately access the latest issue.
- Easy Returns: eMagazines will return automatically after 21 days just like other items.
- More Access: eMagazine checkouts don't count towards your 15-item loan limit in Libby. You may borrow as many as you like!
Other eBook Options
- eBooks Minnesota: An eBook collection for all Minnesotans. All of the titles are simultaneous access, meaning many readers can read them at the same time. It is hosted on a platform called MackinVIA, which can be accessed in a browser.
- Project Gutenberg: A volunteer-run site that digitizes, archives, and distributes literary works that are copyright-free or in the public domain. Most of the items are historical. All of the texts are free and can be read in a browser on different devices.
Need help with Libby or borrowing eLibrary items?
- Visit the Libby Support Site to find helpful Frequently Asked Questions.
- Send us eLibrary questions through our Ask a Librarian Form.
- If you don't know your PIN, use the Reset PIN option on our catalog page.
- Not sure if your device is compatible? Check Libby's Device Compatibility FAQ section.