CH 42 & TH 13 Intersection Improvements
- Construction Year: 2018
- Community: City of Prior Lake and Savage
- Corridor Served: CH 42
- Project Lead: Scott County
- Contractor: S.M. Hentges & Sons
- CONSTRUCTION START DATE: April 9, 2018
- Anticipated Completion Date: Thanksgiving 2018
To learn more about project staging changes, an Open House will be held on
Thursday, April 26
McColl Learning Center,
Pond Conference Room
13550 Dakota Ave S
Savage, MN 55378
Formal presentations will be held at 11:30am and 5:00pm.
Question and answers session held from 12:00pm -2:00pm and 5:30pm-7:00pm
Traffic Control Changes: (Updated 4/20/18)
- Lane Closures on CH 42 starting Tuesday 4/24 traffic will be reduced to one lane from Boone Avenue to Louisiana Avenue
- Starting 4/24 - 4/29 Traffic will be moved to the inside lanes
- Starting 4/30 - 5/21 Traffic will be moved to the outside lanes
- Anticipated Permanent Closure of Commerce Drive Access: Early May, after the cul-de-sac is in place
- Anticipated Temporary Closure of CH 42 East of TH 13 to Quebec Avenue: Starting Late June / Early July ending in Mid/Late August
- Anticipated Temporary Closure of CH 42 West of TH 13 to Rutgers Street: Starting Mid/Late August ending Late September/Early October
Construction Progress/Schedules: (Updated 4/20/18)Stage 1 of the project is relocating the utilities, removing medians and constructing retaining walls along the eastbound side of CH 42.
The week of 4/24 with traffic move to the inside lanes to set up temporary signals for the staging operations and conduct tree removal. Starting the week of 4/30 with traffic moved to the outside lanes, the medians will be removed to create the crossover sections.
Weather, both locally and nationally has delayed the project start date. Unseasonably cold and snowy weather locally has delayed excavation due to Spring load limits on the roads. Hurricanes on the east coast have created shortages and delays in getting electrical components needed to complete the construction of a new substation in Savage. The lack of the new substation means the power lines along CH 42 cannot be deactivated which is necessary to facilitate construction.
These unforeseeable delays have forced Scott County, City of Prior Lake and City of Savage to formulate a new project staging plan. Several alternative plans have been presented, discussed and reviewed; the New Staging Planwas chosen to allow construction to continue with consideration of time, cost and safety.
We are now anticipating full closure of CH 42 in two separate instances (Stage 3 and Stage 4) for approximately 6 weeks each. North and Southbound lanes at TH 13/CH 42 will remain open during the entire duration of the project.
This project will install dual left turn lanes on CH 42, install permanent signals on CH 42/TH 13 and CH 42/Quebec, road surfacing and install trail/sidewalk.
Purpose & Justification
Traffic studies conducted with developments in the northeast and southeast quadrants of CH 42 and TH 13 identified unacceptable levels of service.