CH 42 & TH 13 Intersection Improvements
- Construction Year: 2018
- Community: City of Prior Lake and Savage
- Corridor Served: CH 42
- Project Lead: Scott County
- Contractor: S.M. Hentges & Sons
- Start Date: April 9, 2018
- Anticipated Completion Date: Thanksgiving 2018
Traffic Control Changes:
- CH 42 East of TH 13 to Quebec Avenue is open
- The Quebec Avenue/CH 42 intersection will be a four (4) way stop due to manufacturer delay for the new signal system.
- Full Temporary Closure of CH 42 West of TH 13 to Rutgers Street began on Monday, September 10th
- During the week of 9/17, rainfalls accumulated a total of 7-9" causing our crews to shut down, delaying our timelines by one week.
- Rutgers Street will maintain access for traffic traveling west on CH 42 with the ability to turn north and south
- Detour Map
- A temporary signal is in place at the intersection of CH 18 and CH 16
- The closure is anticipated to end in late October/Early November, weather permitting.
Construction Progress/Schedules: The CH 42 closure east of TH 13 to Quebec Avenue, is still in place due to phone, fiber and power utility relocation delays which but are expected to be complete on 8/16. As of 9/10 we will be entering the fourth and FINAL STAGE of this project, which will move the full closure of CH 42 West of TH 13 to Rutgers Street.
Weather, both locally and nationally delayed the project start date. Unseasonably cold and snowy weather locally has delayed excavation due to Spring load limits on the roads. Hurricanes on the east coast have created shortages and delays in getting electrical components needed to complete the construction of a new substation in Savage. The lack of the new substation means the power lines along CH 42 cannot be deactivated which is necessary to facilitate construction.
These unforeseeable delays have forced Scott County, City of Prior Lake and City of Savage to formulate a new project staging plan. Several alternative plans have been presented, discussed and reviewed; the New Staging Plan was chosen to allow construction to continue with consideration of time, cost and safety.
This project will install dual left turn lanes on CH 42, install permanent signals on CH 42/TH 13 and CH 42/Quebec, road surfacing and install trail/sidewalk.
Purpose & Justification
Traffic studies conducted with developments in the northeast and southeast quadrants of CH 42 and TH 13 identified unacceptable levels of service.